Monday, August 20, 2007

Back to school!

I love back to school time. It always makes me need new notebooks, shoes, and backpacks. It is pretty odd to be replacing those things with onesies, wipes, and diaper bags, but I am rolling with it. To get in the back to school spirit, here are some yummy packed lunch ideas... I just discovered the BentoYum blog and it makes me want to go pack a lunch! How fun is this? Unfortunately, most of these ingredients are way too non-processed for the Step-Broken Plate, but who says I can't pack a lunch for myself?

I have discovered my inner Martha Stewart when it comes to feeding the girl though. She loves Uncrustables sandwiches, but it felt wrong to pay $1 per PB&J. I started making them myself using Blue Ribbon white bread, Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter and Schmucker's Grape Jam. The trick is to put PB on both pieces of bread, then a little jelly in the middle. Use a pint glass to cut it into a perfect circle. I swear, it took her a week to figure out that I was cheating, and when she did, she told me to keep going! I have even frozen a few for the week so I can just pull one out of the freezer when I am half asleep and it will thaw by the time lunch comes

Another new trick for breakfast is to make cereal and milk Popsicles! She was sick of cereal, but it was amazingly easy to renew her interest by putting the same ingredients into a Popsicle mold! (Fruit Loops have been the best so far!)

No comments: